Friday, February 10, 2006

having our peace disturbed...

With days and days of riots, and 2 deaths in the county jail system where Micah is it seems like many in our city are feeling the effects of having our peace disturbed. There is increased violence...and mass segregation, lock down county-wide. These are the latest headlines here in our county jail system, and with thousands rioting that can be a huge problem for the Sheriff. But an even greater problem for those on the inside, already living in turmoil. As I watch the boys getting out of juvenile hall, now becoming men, go in the revolving door of county jail, almost as if in rhythm, I can see that there is no peace in their life. It is so hard to communicate just how crazy it is on the inside, and that's on a good day. I broke down in tears as I heard that one inmate was stomped to death, I think what broke my heart the most is the lingering question, who will cry for him? Who will stand in the gap for these, many who are not even sentenced yet, innocent until proven guilty? Not in this system. I know to well how one can end up in the system, it's like a black hole, it swallows you up, and you are lost. I work every week with youth who are given a sentence of 1 year, but I know in my heart they will serve that one year with the rest of their lives. What is said about this system by some is true, it perpetuates the problem. Interviewing young inmates one after another again last night, my peace was disturbed. How do I rest, knowing what I know? Matthew, Chapter 11, verse 28! Jesus says "come to me and I will give you rest" So when I come to Him, I learn from Him and find out that He himself is our peace, Ephesians 2:14. And about justice? Psalms 9:16 says "The Lord is known by his justice." His justice, looks different. I know, I am a product of that. He looked at my life and sentenced me to what seemed fitting, he used the courts to impose the sentence I received, His hand moved the system, and I knew it. I know in all of this my peace is disturbed so that I will be moved to action on behalf of the poor, the imprisoned, the marginalized in our city, the youth under siege. Please pray for the youth incarcerated in our nation...as you read an excerpt from an interview last night....

"I am 18, and incarcerated. My dad was a heroin addict so the only person i had was my mom and she did her best she was always working right now, and my dad is in jail. But i am not angry at him it was the drug that did that to him. I feel like I was missing out on love from my Dad. I was afraid of him, he scared me. I grew up in East LA - i grew up as a follower of gangs because my family was already into them.. I was officially jumped when I was 12 and have been arrested 7 times. I am in now for 9 months. I don't have a safe place to go when I get out, not really, no."

No comments: